The conclusions I have came to are as follows:
- User stories explain the need
- Use cases explain the behaviours involved
From the Business Users perspective:
- Without prior knowledge Use Cases are difficult to understand, and can be seen as too 'techie'.
- User Stories are easy to read, write and understand.
- User Stories do not give enough detail on what the system needs to do and how it should behave.
- Use Cases provide more information about the interactions, prerequisites, outcomes etc.